DATE OF ISSUANCE: 31 January 2013
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15 February 2013
TYPE OF CONTRACT: INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR
DURATION: SIX MONTHS, WITH POSSIBILITY OF RENEWAL
SECTION: REGIONAL & FIELD OFFICES
DUTY STATION: MULTIPLE DUTY STATIONS (Beni, Bunia, Goma, Bukavu, Mbandaka, Bandundu)
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: MONUSCO/IC-LA-11-12
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
The MONUSCO Administration invites qualified applicants in the relevant occupational group to apply for the position highlighted below.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the supervision of the Military Supervisor, the Language Assistant is the bridge between MONUSCO Military personnel and local communities.
- Facilitate communication between MONUSCO staff and the local communities and ensure accurate translation and interpretation;
- Work efficiently with Officers from multinational environments and provides translation to Military Personnel serving with MONUSCO;
- Translate official documents from one language to the other with clarity and precision;
- Assist in the implementation of the sensitization programs; play the role of communication link between local community authorities and/or citizens and military staff;
- Assist Civilian and Military Personnel in their patrols by ensuring that translations are precise;
- Assist delegations and other official visitors in their official tours of duty in different regions of DRC
- Must be prepared to work in the field and military camps conditions and hazard exposures for extended duration i.e. COB, MOB and HOB.
- Must be physically fit as the job requires frequent walking, standing and sitting.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Professionalism: Ability to manage an analyze sensitive information
- Teamwork: Good Interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Ability to quickly adapt to different environments
- Communication: strong communication (spoken and written) skills.
- Planning and organization: Ability to deal with multiple tasks and to plan own work to meet established deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma plus linguistic training or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the relevant field
- Ability to work in a complex working environment
- Previous experience in working with international agencies in the DRC, would be an asset
- Working knowledge of word processing, Excel is an advantage
- Good knowledge of French and English is a requirement: ability to write, translate / interpret and communicate in both languages
- Good knowledge of the local language is an asset.
Applications from female candidates are particularly encouraged.
A completed United Nations P11 Form or application documents with an application letter and education certificates/transcripts should be enclosed and forwarded to the attention of:
MONUSCO Human Resources Section – for the location you apply for, or to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
With reference: Vacancy MONUSCO/LANGUAGE ASSISTANT
Not later than the established deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted